Community CalendarVillage CouncilGrand ValleyDepartmentsVillage HistoryCity DirectoryCity OrdinancesUtility AggregationCommunity ResourcesLinksHome Page

 

 

 

Village History

Legend
One legend involved the Indians stealing three horses from the settlement at Nelson's Station (Madisonville). The settlers pursued them, and shot the Indian who was unfortunate enough to have selected a lame horse. Years later, his body was found on a farm on a hill above Madisonville, giving the name Indian Hill to our rural community.

By the early 1800's the Indians had moved westward, the settlers were able to farm, run their grist, saw and paper mills, build comfortable homes, and organize the community about them. Three schools were built, all of which are still standing. The first church, Armstrong Chapel, was built on property given by Nathaniel Armstrong, a prosperous mill operatory. The men of the community formed the bricks from clay on the property, cut the beams and forged the hardware. The cemetary predates the church. Soldiers from nearly every U.S. war, including the Revolutionary War, are buried there.

By the end of the 19th century, the area was a farming community of about 500 residents, many of whom were descendants of the early pioneer families.

In the early part of the 1900's in order to escape the heat of the city, a few Cincinnatians began to come for the summer. They purchased farms or visited relatives. The virginal beauty of its hillsides attracted more and more Cincinnatians, and by the late 1920's it began to develop into a suburban residential community. By the late 1930's its citizens became concerned about protecting the handsome woodlands from the discordant elements that were beginning to plague the outskirts of major cities. Thus it was incorporated in 1941. With tight zoning, imaginative leadership, and suburban planning, created and guided by the personal efforts of its residents, the Village has been able to meet the pressing demands for housing that began after World War II and yet maintain its rural atmosphere.

For more historical information, please visit the Indian Hill Historical Society at: www.indianhill.org

 


The first church, Armstrong Chapel, was built on property given by Nathaniel Armstrong, a prosperous mill operatory.

 


Soldiers from nearly every
U.S. war, including the Revolutionary War, are buried at this cemetary located by Armstrong Chapel.